Short Stories Project

Saturday, March 26, 2005

You (Part VIII - Finale)

< Part VII :: Return to Index >

8) Full Circle
Time: Now


Outside, the sun is setting reticently into a fiery blanket of purple and orange light. The surrounding is peaceful, interrupted by the occasional bark of a dog and the laughter of a family eating dinner.

Your father and I are standing outside on the veranda. He is gazing into my eyes tenderly, intently. He wraps his arms around me and brings me into a slow waltz, following the resonant beat of our hearts.

He looks occupied, as if he has something on his mind.

Patiently I wait, since I know it is not his nature to keep things to himself. Particularly things that concern our future.

Sure enough, after our hearts have rhymed out several choruses, his feet still slightly. He looks at me again, his face a study in solemnity, his eyes flashing a mesh of emotions ranging from anxiousness to hope.

"Do you..." He begins to ask the question I know he will ask. "Do you think we should have a child?".

I look at him and silently wonder if he will still choose to ask me that, should I share my knowledge of what was to come with him.

Our dance slows, then stops. I look down, as the knowledge runs through my mind. The silence between us drags on.

“Yes.” I reply and both of us link arms and walk back to our home.

Home, to create.

Create you, my daughter.

~
End

< Part VII :: Return to Index >

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home